» Betrayed — P.C. + Kristin Cast.

Friday, April 20, 2012
5:08 PM
[ 0 comments ]

Sweet Jesus, this was even worse than Marked. Well, serves me right for picking it up because it had a nice cover.

The writing style still seemed horrific to me. It still seems like the authors are trying too hard to sound young, modern, and teenager-like, and it just refuses to work out for them. In the end, it is a mess.

So, in this continuation of House of Night, we are reminded once again what a special brat Zoe Redbird is, and what a joy and blessing it is to have her. The book opens up with a parent visiting night, and her mother and stepfather actually show up, only to embarrass her. The stepfather insults Neferet, apparently, and they just storm out. Later, Zoe overhears Aphrodite's parents chewing her out for losing her powerful leadership spot and force her to try and get rid of Zoe. Now, I felt more sympathy towards Aphrodite than Zoe. Even as a bully, she is more likeable. At least she has a reason to be the way she is.

The whole novel is one huge soap opera where Zoe just cannot choose one guy and keeps flirting with three — Erik, the typically hot, dreamy teenager whom everyone loves; Heath, her former love interest whose blood she keeps wanting; and Loran, an almost-teacher and a vampyre at the school who she thinks is flirting with her. I cannot describe my frustration with the whole thing.

Interestingly enough, the novels still continue to do tons of slut-shaming, going as far as hinting that losing your virginity makes you one. Maybe I am reading too far into it, I am not certain. But I wonder what having three men going after her and her trying to go further with each of them makes her. Hm.

The climax was not even exciting. Actually, it bored me, and I kept counting the pages until the book ended. And the sad thing is, I am probably going to pick up Chosen anyways, because of my OCD-like obsession with finishing every single series I begin. Ah, well.

rating: ★☆☆☆☆ 

sviristelle. 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home